Nissan <span class="highlight">Navara</span> RX Diesel suspension and carry capacity

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 30, 2011 at 12:15
ThreadID: 87870 Views:4939 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I purchased a new Nissan Navara RX King Cab Ute 4x4 last July and at the time I was told (by the salesperson and the catalogue) that the carrying capacity of the try back was 1100kgs. I put a 2.1 m by 1.8 m tray on the chassis and found it would only carry about 800kgs. I loaded about 256 pavers each weighing 3.3 kgs. The total weight was 844.8kgs. The springs under the tray were bent back from curving up to curving down and the tray ended up just above the wheels.

I spoke to the dealer about it and he said I could put heavier springs on the back but it would make the vehicle ride rougher. The alternative was to advise Nissan Australia about it. I called Nissan Australia in Melbourne and they said I should send some photos to them.

So I loaded the tray with 844 pavers and took it to the Dealer in Gosford where I purchased the vehicle. They photographed the condition of the suspension. I have heard nothing from Nissan or the dealer.

Has anyone else had an experience like this.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Saturday, Jul 30, 2011 at 14:22

Saturday, Jul 30, 2011 at 14:22
Everyone I know who uses the Navarra for towing or load carrying puts air bags or something under the back.

They seem to have compromised load carrying for comfort.
AnswerID: 461333

Reply By: Patrol22 - Saturday, Jul 30, 2011 at 17:53

Saturday, Jul 30, 2011 at 17:53
I don't know about the King Cab version but I have a 2008 dual cab and the very first thing it did was toss the OEM suspension and fit and aftermarket kit. I use my ute for off road travels and needed a lift and at the same time I uprated the suspension. The dual cab it rated for 885kgs and I usually run around 550 kgs with an ARB canopy, ORS storage system, recovery gear, camping gear, camper trailer download of around 100kgs, 70 ltr water tank, 2x105AH aux batteries, foodstuff, Evakool 47 ltr fridge, and a 160ltr long range fuel tank.....the OEM suspension just wasn't up to the job.....and really I didn't expect it to be either.
This isn't just a Navara thing either, put 800kgs on the back of a hilux or triton or colorado or whatever....with its OEM suspension and you will have the same effect...ie your headlights will be looking at the sky. Look under most tradies utes and you will see either air bags or an aftermarket setup or both.
AnswerID: 461341

Reply By: Member - Andy M (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 30, 2011 at 17:58

Saturday, Jul 30, 2011 at 17:58
I've got a 2007 D40 Navara and I agree the original suspension is not up to the job. I got an upgraded suspension kit from EFS - an EFS Elite system with front struts and coils, rear leaf springs, u-bolts, bush kit, rear swinging greasable shackles and rear shocks. Before and after ride height measurements indicated a lift of about 30mm at front and 75mm at rear and performance on road and off road particularly with a load is chalk and cheese to the originals. Very happy with it and about to give it a good workout in the Simpson.
AnswerID: 461342

Reply By: splits - Sunday, Jul 31, 2011 at 00:39

Sunday, Jul 31, 2011 at 00:39
Barco56

The 1100 kgs is the weight that can be added to a bare cab chassis with a near empty fuel tank. That is the way the car leaves the assembly line and everything that is added to it after that comes off the 1100 kgs. That includes whatever type of body is fitted plus fuel, passengers, tow bar, bull bar, etc. You can't fit a tray then put the entire 1100 onto it.

My single cab Hilux for example has a capacity of around 1000 kg. It would have left the factory weighing around 1500 kgs. GVM is 2500 kg. The weight of its aluminium tray, my wife and I, fuel and a few accessories takes it to a total weight of 1850 kg. This means I can put 650 kg on the tray, not 1000. To date the highest I have ever had it up to is 2400 kgs. At that weight the tray still sloped slightly down hill to the front and this is on standard suspension. Had I taken it up another 100 to 2500 kg, it may have been a little too far down at the back however if the extra 100 was moved further forward by fitting a bull bar and winch for example and maybe some heavier items under and behind the seats, it would be at GVM and should still be sitting level.

Your car will carry 1100 kgs providing the weight is distributed correctly. You must also keep in mind the seats and the space behind them are load bearing areas and must be used to the max if you want to get the car up to GVM. If you can't get enough weight into the cab, and this is critical with dual cabs, then it may not be possible for some people to load the car up to GVM without the rear dragging on the ground.

The weight must be spread out evenly, not all at one end.
AnswerID: 461358

Sponsored Links